Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Dinosaur Tail Tutorial



Again, this is for a friend, so my measurements are rough. Here is how you make a dino tail for your little one:


Materials:
About 13" of wool felt (I use wool felt because it is really sturdy and you don't need to interface the waste band.
Velcro: about 6"
Fiberfill
Accent colored felt

Sewn and stuffed: My tail measures about 18 1/2 inches long (not including waste band) and 6 1/2 inches wide.

I hand drew my design. So---I would make it about 19 1/2 inches long and at least 7 1/2 inches wide in the widest part for a toddler/young child sized tail.

Waste Band: Cut 2 approx 28 inch length strips. I tapered mine so they were thicker right near the tail and thinner where they cross over with the velcro. Because of the small amount of fabric, one of my strips was 1 long piece and the other was 2 pieces about 14 inches each. I just put the 2 piece ones as the inner layer and you don't even notice. Saved me buying fabric.

Steps:
1. Cut 2 Tails, Cut 2 Waste Bands
2. Sew Waste Bands together using a 1/8inch seam all the way around. (If you one of your pieces is in 2 parts, sew those together first)
3. Add accents onto tail. You can hand sew or machine sew spots on. I also used pinking shears on some of mine to add a decorative touch. Definitely pin them on to help with movement.
4. Layer Waste Band into Tail and with right sides together sew tail all the way around leaving some room on the bottom to turn right side out.
5. Turn right side out.
6. Stuff and close opening with hand stitching
7. Add Velcro to waste band. I always make sure the fuzzy side of the velcro goes on the part that could touch the child (so the "top" one)
8. Give to your child and Play!

No comments:

Post a Comment